Friday, January 30, 2009

it only gets better

I am sure I speak for all of us dads that there are milestones in a dad's life that have significant meaning. Many months of pregnancy, the birth, going from formula or breast milk to moo milk, that first step, that first word, that first conversation and finally fitting our little ones into "big-boy pants".
Disclaimer: Notice I said dad or dad's. If any mommies happen to read this I assure you I am not selling you short. I know that the pregnancy and birth are much more than significant. What you guys do is beyond amazing and all mommies are held in such high-regard and respected by the author that I am sure your farts smell of butternut ice cream. I bow in reverence.


Ok. Let's get back to a dad's point of view and the whole reason I wanted to sit down and write today. We took our oldest son, Eric, to his first day of school in September for orientation. There, with us in the back of the room I witnessed him sitting at his desk, guarded and meek, squeaking mostly inaudible replies to his new teacher's questions. It was very difficult for me to see him in a withdrawn state. I thought maybe I should come to school with him everyday and explain everything; give him some iron-clad encouragement. I was worried. How could we send him out into the world at three years old without the protective umbrella and oversight of mom and dad?

Sue and I had our very first parent-teacher conference on Jan. 29th. The parent-teacher process at this school is very interesting. We were told to come at 8:45 am and the meeting will last for 15 minutes at which time the next set of parents will come in. So we go, and there we are sitting in a classroom on chairs that are six inches off the floor talking with his two teachers. We learn that Eric is polite and participates, he sings and loves his gym time. The part of Eric's evaluation that struck me the most was a very small comment by the teachers stating that a new boy arrived at school about two months into the year and Eric, along with his best school-mate, let him into their circle of learning and playtime. I am not worried anymore.

I realize now that I wasn't worried about Eric. I was worried about the anxiety I felt of not being able to let go of him for three hours a day, twice a week, to grow intellectually and athletically and actually figure things out for himself. I am pleasantly surprised and proud beyond words.

Thank you Eric for another milestone witnessed. I can't wait for more.



Eric's first report card

5 comments:

Mark Harter said...

Lovin it. Keep the posts coming. I will call you later.

Knitting Keep Me sane said...

This is a very refreshing view from the dad side.

I know you do not know me. Sue posted your link to your blog and I had to check it out.

I think moms sometimes forget that men go through it also. just in a different way.

Anonymous said...

What a gift to be able to express your feelings in words and share them. Keep it going.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. You have a gift to be able to express your feelings in words....And what wonderful feelings they are. I wish I could do it.

Kelly said...

Thanks for making me cry Joe! Well everything makes me cry these days but anyway, i'm so happy for you. :o)
There is NOTHING better in life and i mean NOTHING better than watching your child experience life. From the first lil hand grasp to the first baseball game to many, many more milestones. You will hurt when he hurts and swell with pride when he excels but being able to witness a life unfold is perfect sweetness and it has what has kept me going for almost 12yrs now. :o)
When i drop Ant off at school, I watch him walk in there until i can't see him anymore and i leave with tears in my eyes everytime. I'm so proud of him and yet he'll always be my lil baby I don't want to let go of. Life is so short and we are so incredibly blessed to have the time we have with our children. So glad you appreciate it.
love you joe
(now i'm really crying!)
p.s. you and Sue should save your blogs for the boys to read when they are older. :o)